After 3.5 months of searching, 77 job applications and 2 interviews, I am pleased to announce that I FINALLY HAVE A JOB!
And these numbers were just the rejection emails in my inbox. I think I deleted a few at the beginning, but decided I should save them all to see how many applications is takes to find a job in the Portland nursing market. To say that there is a nursing shortage bewilders me.
And the unbelievable thing about this is, the job I have is only a temporary one. I'll be working for 3 months only as a computer support person when the hospital switches from paper to electronic charting. For some reason, they want RNs to teach the physicians how to use the computer charting one on one. I think it's because we speak medical jargon, so Docs don't have to waste time to explain to the IT guys what "D5W gtts TKO means".
So I will start at the end of September, working unpredictable schedules to support the staff, utilizing none of my nursing skills with zero patient interaction. Not exactly what I anticipated my first nursing job to be, but at this point I will take what I can get. Besides, I'm still getting an RN salary, and now my resume can say I have RN experience at a respected hospital, even though I didn't actually work with patients. And hopefully I can impress the physicians and other staff I work with and make them see how much they want me to work full time with them after this job ends.
We will see what the future holds, but I am so happy I have at least found a job and can do something/earn money this year! And the best part? I need to dress business casual for the job. Shopping trip after my first paycheck? I think yes! Heck, shopping trip for my first day of work? I think yes!
Monday, September 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congrats, Robyn! Won't it be nice to be around people again during the day? :)
ReplyDelete