Over my break, I have upgraded my pump from a plain old regular insulin pump to a pump that has continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) capabilities. I have only been using it for less than a week, but so far it's pretty cool! The CGM is a device that is sort of like a wick that is inserted in my skin and soaks up the fluid between cells and measures that fluid level of glucose. Every five minutes, it measures my glucose levels giving me a better idea of what my levels are between regular blood glucose testing. I really like it so far! It is helpful to see how I trend during the day, not just at meals and bedtime. It also has the capability to predict if I am going to have high or low glucose levels, and alerts me in advance so I can try to fix it. The major setback though is that the glucose readings aren't entirely accurate. If I measure my blood glucose levels and compare it to what the CGM says, they are usually off. The CGM has a delayed response to my blood, so it is not entirely accurate. Overall though, I am really pleased with it and hope that I can have better control of my diabetes with such cool new technology.
Monday, August 23, 2010
New insulin pump!
Over my break, I have upgraded my pump from a plain old regular insulin pump to a pump that has continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) capabilities. I have only been using it for less than a week, but so far it's pretty cool! The CGM is a device that is sort of like a wick that is inserted in my skin and soaks up the fluid between cells and measures that fluid level of glucose. Every five minutes, it measures my glucose levels giving me a better idea of what my levels are between regular blood glucose testing. I really like it so far! It is helpful to see how I trend during the day, not just at meals and bedtime. It also has the capability to predict if I am going to have high or low glucose levels, and alerts me in advance so I can try to fix it. The major setback though is that the glucose readings aren't entirely accurate. If I measure my blood glucose levels and compare it to what the CGM says, they are usually off. The CGM has a delayed response to my blood, so it is not entirely accurate. Overall though, I am really pleased with it and hope that I can have better control of my diabetes with such cool new technology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That sounds pretty nifty!
ReplyDelete