Tyler and I went to a pick your own farm a couple of weeks ago. We went to one that specifically only has blueberries and peaches. Oh my goodness, it was so much fun! We were one of the first people there and had first pick at the peaches! There were just so many that looked so good! We ended up picking 19lbs of peaches and 4.5 lbs of blueberries! And let me tell you, I'm not much of a blueberry fan, but these blueberries were so sweet, not tart, we had a hard time not eating them all on the way home! We also discovered that Chloe loves blueberries. She would try to knock them out of our hand every time we went to snack on them.
First off, we made this with the peaches that needed to be used immediately.
I originally wanted to can the rest of the peaches, but since I don't have canning equipment and didn't want to borrow from someone, I set out to learn how to freeze peaches. Turns out, the process is almost exactly the same, just without the mason jars! Freezing is like the poor man's canning, but I'm ok with it! I think they turned out beautifully and I am rather proud of my accomplishments.
P.S. Freezing blueberries is quite possibly one of the easiest things I have ever done. You don't even wash them! Just stick them on a cookie sheet and freeze them until they are rock solid, essentially until they become marbles. Then, just transfer them to whatever container you plan on keeping them in (for me it was a ziploc bag) and freeze them! It's important that you freeze the blueberries out of the bag first though so they don't clump together and then freeze. I used them to make muffins later, and sure enough they were not clumped together and came out easily!

No comments:
Post a Comment