Friday, July 22, 2011

Why I'm So Decor Challenged

So, I feel as though I owe you readers and explanation for my lack of decorating skills. First off, Tyler, being a man, has about the same amount of decorating abilities as a chipmunk. It was assumed going into this marriage that I, being the woman (yes, we're sexist like that), would decorate our home in a tasteful, eye pleasing manner. I figured it was something that would come naturally to me, like getting dressed each day.

Boy was I wrong!

Let me explain.

I grew up in a home where the walls were stark white throughout the entire house (which, coincidentally, may have allowed me to be so comfortable inside hospitals). This provided a solid background for the decorations that changed, not just every season, but every month. Yes, 12 times a year decorations would change. We would decorate the house for various holidays throughout the year. When there wasn't a holiday to celebrate that month (May, August, etc.) we made up holidays and decorations. Enter: Strawberry Season for May! And Sunflower season for August! And Snowflake Season (AKA winter) for January! (which is quite ironic considering I grew up in California where I never saw a single snowflake at my house. Ever.) You see, I grew up thinking it was perfectly normal to change the decorations in a house every 3.6 weeks.

It wasn't until I was a teenager when I went to my friends' houses that I realized that they didn't celebrate Strawberry Season like I did. I went a step further and realized that they really only decorated for Christmas and maybe Halloween. I then realized that they had beautiful homes that were decorated for year-round enjoyment.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my mom and appreciate her enthusiasm for holidays (boy, I'm sure I was the most excited kid for Sunflower Season!) but it left me with a considerable lack of knowledge for decorating my house. I do not want to change the decor every month; I don't have the time or care that much to put such effort into something that huge. But now I am left hopelessly stupid when it comes to home decor.

And now that I'm not in school to suck up all of my time, I can actually focus on beautifying my home. Friends, please help me. What blogs/websites do you look to for inspiration? What basic rules are there that I am completely unaware of? What are your tips/tricks for simple decor in your homes?

3 comments:

  1. You are so cute! My sister is a fabulous decorator and she does it all on a budget! smithcrew2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know what, I just do what I like. I mean, I have watched a lot of HGTV in the past few years of my life which has influenced me some but you remember what it was like living with me in the Colony...I just did whatever suited my fancy. I like hanging pictures and clocks and maybe having a shelf or bookcase or whatever that has special little knick-knacks on it. I don't think there is a wrong way to decorate, as long as you like it.
    If you're really stuck though, I would recommend going to hgtv.com. I mean you can read all sorts of stuff and even watch some of their shows. I highly recommend "Dear Genevieve".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love younghouselove.com. They are the best couple for DIY!

    ReplyDelete